Today, Coach Sandi Nypaver will give you some tips to train a high-performance mindset to help you achieve your 2024 goals. The concepts in this newsletter have made a huge difference for her as well as the athletes that she coaches who have fully committed to them! Thanks to neuroplasticity anyone can develop a high-performance mindset with the right focus:
Hope you’re all kicking off the year on the right foot! It’s Coach Sandi here, and I’m excited to share these eight tips to help you on your running journey.
1. Stay Present, Embrace Today: I’ve learned that focusing on the present moment is the key to reaching those distant goals. Sure, I might have a race in mind, but making the most of today is how I build towards success. Find joy in each run, even in the cold and snowy days!
2. Write It Down, Make It Visible: I’ve got a little trick for boosting goal achievement – write it down and keep it in your line of sight. Make your goal your phone wallpaper or put it on your computer desktop. Seeing it every day is a powerful reminder to stay committed.
3. Uncover Your “Why”: When setting goals, ask yourself why it matters. It doesn’t always have to be a profound answer. For me, it often boils down to the simple joys and the feeling of accomplishment. Knowing your “why” keeps you motivated through thick and thin.
4. Harness Positive Self-Talk: Positive self-talk has been a game-changer for me. I still mess up on camera sometimes, but embracing positivity has kept me going. It’s not about perfection; it’s about progress. Try it out, and you might be surprised at the difference it makes.
5. Audible and Visual Fuel: As someone who learns both audibly and visually, I surround myself with motivating podcasts, music, and visual reminders. Find what speaks to you and keeps your mind in sync with your goals.
6. Seek Pleasure in Challenges: Change your mindset from dreading hard workouts to embracing the pleasure they bring. It’s all about perspective. Challenge yourself to redefine what you consider “hard,” and you’ll find yourself enjoying the journey more.
7. Prioritize Your Feelings: Here’s a bit of unconventional advice – care about how you feel. Your emotions are powerful indicators of what serves you. If something doesn’t make you feel good, recognize it and make choices aligned with your well-being.
8. Your Surroundings Matter: Everything around you, from the TV shows you watch to the music you listen to, can impact your mood. Choose elements that uplift and energize you during your runs and in your daily life.
Let’s make 2024 a year of strides, joy, and mindful running!
- Coach Sandi